Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Least Relevant

A foreword: I'll be writing a number of entries about the last howmanyever days, and they will grow more and more relevant (I think). This post will be a very brief outline followed by random thoughts/anecdotes.

I got picked up near the end of math on Thursday, and we drove home to wait for our taxi. The taxi shows up, and we head for Dulles. However, the left turn light from fcpkwy onto the toll road is very ugly and broken. Our driver is very pro though. He pulls out of the leftmost of the two left lanes into the forward moving lane (cursing throughout at the complete daums who are sitting waiting for the broken light to work) and then takes a U turn back to turn onto the toll road. But here's the real pro part: the guy pulls out his cell, dials, talks to some road authority or someone about the problem, and by the time he hangs up, the light is fixed. That just blew my mind >_>

So then we check in and are waiting at the terminal, and my brother is like, let's get food. So we go get food, and because I am skinny, I was required to buy something as well >_> So I decided to try a cheese danish, and I was very surprised to find that the stuff in the middle is CHEESECAKE.

Moving on, we land at Orlando, my dad gets angry with the roads there or something, and we reach our hotel. Im kind of happy to see that we have a comp in the lobby with internet, so I go online and check the arml (wtf high score 4??? someone should show me the problems at some point).

The next day (friday), we go to epcot. Saturday is Universal Studios, Sunday Animal Kingdom, Monday Magic Kingdom, Today was Kennedy Space Center.

So my dad is very very cautious, and he will keep checking details, even when they are extremely obvious, until the relevant event occurs. So I think the most striking example of this was on Friday. We had had some difficulty getting to the park (btw, every morning we'd ask the people at the hotel counter for directions to the park we were going to, and everyday their directions got us onto park grounds but then were completely off), but we were finally driving up to the entrance. It looks like a large toll booth, and in big letters all over the top of the toll booth, is written "EPCOT". My dad drives up and is greeted by the Disney guy in a suit that says "Epcot" on it. He rolls down the window, is greeted by the guy, and then asks "How do I get to Epcot".

A similar event, without a car. My dad is also fairly terse and hurried. We were in animal kingdom, and we needed to get to some ride. So I give my dad directions, and we're walking along pretty fast. My dad, as usual, feels compelled to check, so we're passing this disney employee, and my dad turns and, still walking by fast, says "Rapids" (part of the name of the ride) and, before the confused employee can respond, walks past him and onwards.

There is more to come, but I think I'm done for tonight.

Edit: False, I am not done. There is one more bit I wanted to talk about.

So like, we hear a lot about how fat america is, about how obese people are becoming. And we believe it, more or less, but we don't really see it here in fairfax county. Nor do we really see it all that much elsewhere. But I promise you, you wanna see obesity, go to Disney World. To describe just how bad it is, an anecdote from Magic Kingdom:

Dilip and I go into splash mountain, and parents are waiting near the big splash to snap a picture. Now they can time it (sort of) based on when our raft enters the mountain and which raft came before us and so on. So my mom notes to my dad "Hey, the raft before theirs had this really fat guy at the back, so we just watch for the fat guy, and then snap a pic of the raft that comes after this guy.

They took 15 different pics using this criterion. GG.

In summary, a quote from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle - "This is America. Learn to Drive."

7 comments:

  1. ah yes. when i went to southern VA...the um american ness was overflowing

    referring to your picture taking section

    ReplyDelete
  2. This entry gets the Lily Seal of Approval.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hear*
    And I have much to say regarding the inherent Americanness of the Southern states (though, admittedly, the North, with the exception of NoVA, fares little better), but I will limit myself to saying that I, too, in my trips to states such as Florida, Georgia, and Tennessee, have witnessed the extreme obesity and redneck comportment of the individuals I found there (though there did exist certain exceptions whom I found in very fit shape and with nonderogatory attitudes toward "foreigners").

    ReplyDelete
  4. Disney was a lot more fun when I was <13 years old.

    Last time I went, the most cool thing that happened was me riding a segway.

    ReplyDelete
  5. also Aryan, GO WRITE SOME POSTS

    ReplyDelete